Puffed Brown Rice Crispy Slice
- 3 cups (45g) puffed brown rice
- 1 cup (80g) flaked/slivered almonds (chopped or crushed to desired size)
- cup (70g) raw pistachios, chopped
- cup (50g) chia seeds
- cup (175g) honey (available in-store)
- cup (140g) smooth peanut butter
Optional Ingredients to choose:
- Place the puffed brown rice, almonds, and pistachios in a large bowl. Place the honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat and stir for 3 minutes or until warmed through. Allow this to cool and then add the chia seeds. Add the honey, peanut butter, and chia seeds mixture to the puffed rice mixture and stir well to combine.
- Firmly press the mixture into a lightly greased 20cm square cake tin (some tins may not need greasing…). Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Optional: If you would like an extra cheeky treat, melt 80g of dark chocolate. Then cut the slice into 5cm x 10cm pieces and dip one end into the chocolate and place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
We have tried a few modifications to this recipe.
- A vegan friendly option is to add Rice Malt Syrup instead of Honey.
- Another option is to add a natural caramel-type sauce to the peanut butter instead of honey or rice malt syrup.
To make caramel-type sauce add:
- 2 tbsp lucuma powder
- 2 tbsp of mesquite powder
- 1 tbsp agava syrup
- Coconut Syrup/Nectar
- a drop of water to obtain the right consistency
- if you have time on your hands, you can soak cup of cashews and a cup of water. Use the creamier water, once cashews have been taken out, to add to the sauce and this will give it a creamier flavour and texture.
This caramel-type sauce can be used separate to this recipe and add a nice topping to ice-cream or any type of dessert. This sauce is a good substitute for diabetics craving a sweet dessert without comprising blood sugar levels. In fact, the mesquite powder assists in stabilising blood sugar levels!
—Modified recipe courtesy of Donna Hay